Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Look Back

Today, I am reposting one of my favorite memories blogged in 2010:
First posted in February from our trip to Pennsylvania.

The Mallomar Incident






My children. I love them, but they test me. They test my skills, my nerves, my patience, the limits of my insurance. It's like their hobby...if you will. And taking them to another state didn't prove to damper their experimental tendencies. It may have amplified it.

Our first evening settling into the home of our gracious hosts turned out to be a bit more exciting than any of us could have ever predicted.

She offered snacks and of course Jay and the boys don't turn down food. I was happily hugging babies so I stayed in the living area while the others disappeared into the kitchen. Jay and Michele return to the room leaving the boys at the table with their snack- a chocolate marshmallow cookie for each of them.

There we are conversing like old friends do when you haven't seen each other in a long time. And we proceed to talk for a while not even noticing the older children are still in the kitchen. We're holding babies and having a lovely chat when in toddles CJ...

He looks like a gluttonous squirrel with lock jaw. There had to be at least two whole Mallomars shoved in there. Unlike the squirrels take, chocolate on the other hand...melts.

There's a slobber and chocolate goo oozing down his chin. He seems okay with this.

Immediately the thought hits my brain & I look at Jay, "Did you leave the box of cookies on the table?

He responds with that dear in the headlight look and took off into the kitchen.

It would seem that he did. He handed each of them one cookie and left the room leaving two children unsupervised with an entire box of cookies.

Between the two of them, they split eleven Mallomars.

Probably with WC doing the handing out. One for you...one for me. Mom will be so happy that we are sharing.

All I could do was shake my head and laugh while Jay cleaned up CJ.

Now I'm not saying that mom's are perfect, cause we definitely are not. However, I do not know of a mom who would have left those cookies on the table...that's all I'm going to say.



Luckily, they did not get upset tummies from this but the surge of sugar through their systems may have had a little something to do with their shenanigans a little later that afternoon...

To Be Continued...

2 comments:

Intangible Hearts said...

It's the inherit squirrel gene. In fact they have a show called "Hoarders". I have a family member who would take two cookies even if she couldn't stuff them in at once. She'd put it away in a safe place until some other creature would finally find it. Love your post!

Terri Jones said...

Thanks Desert Rocks. My kids have lots of the inherit squirrel gene!